25377: Nlbo: (comment) Congratulations to all Haitian Graduates! (fwd)

From: Nlbo@aol.com

It has been a long milestone. I want to say "Congratulations!" to all
Haitians and other Blacks who are graduating this year, especially the university
students.  You have represented the race, especially those of you in
predominantely white higher institutions. I know what it's like because I have been
through it three times.  When the Haitian adult community understands how hard it is
as Blacks and as women to attend schools in  predominantely white
institutions, I will be the first one to organize a party for all of you, like many other
ethnic communities do for their graduates.

I was in school myself and couldn't do it. Suggestions for the past ten years
to have an atmosphere, a welcoming environment, and programs for children,
young people as well as the second generations like most of you  have not been
taken seriously in the Haitian community. The second generation of young people
is not high in the agenda of the Haitians' diasporic community.

Any way you are the ones who will make the changes  and create 21rst century
attitude, mentalities, mindsets in  Haiti and in the diaspora. A better
Haitian, a better image of Haitians in the diaspora is in your hands, the new
generations. I have met many of you who had said it's very difficult to do things in
the Haitian community. As one of the rare Haitians who never left and had
remained in the community since I migrated here in my teenage years, it has not
been easy. The way I can phrase it" If one wants to be an integral member of
the 21rst century society, the Haitian community in Boston is not ready for
you."
Again,
Congratulations!
Kenbe fèm, Pa lage