25379: Danislif: (ask) Fwd: Teaching Haitians (fwd)

From: Danislif@cs.com

Hi,

I am an ESL (English as a second language) teacher.  For the past few years
(part-time summer) I have had the opportunity to work with Haitian immigrants
who work at nursing facilities.  They are nursing assistants, housekeepers, and
kitchen staff.

My job is to improve their English speaking, particularly pronunciation, and
understanding, so that RN's, supervisors, and residents can understand them,
to promote better communication.  Also, make sure that they understand the
responsibilities, behavior, etc., on the job.

I'm also working with the RN's, supervisors, and administrators so that they
can better understand their Haitian employees.

I have learned a lot about Haitians and their culture. However, I wonder if
you have any suggestions/activities that I might consider for the program this
summer.  Thank you.  Danielle Slifer