25399: Frere: (announce) Book information (fwd)

From: Gerard and Nancy. Ferere. <gernancy2@hotmail.com>

Two years ago, I, Dr. Gerard A. Ferere,  had the privilege to be invited
to participate in one of your sessions where I presented and signed
Haiti: Le Vodou au Troisieme Millenaire,  in which I have an article
entitled "Vodou et Demystification".  This year, 2005, my wife, Nancy
Turnier Ferere, and I have just published a trilingual, French / English
/ Spanish book and album VEVE: L'Art Rituel du Vodou Haitien / Ritual Art
of Haitian Vodou / Arte ritual del Vodu haitiano, in commemoration of
Haiti's independence bicentennial.

This is a serious publication that, within its artistic format, in color,
contains historical and identifying information about different types of
Veves.  From the Prefaces written by Marie-Jose Saint-Lot, Ph.D.,
University Professor and author of Vodou: A Sacred Theatre, we would like
to quote the following: "In Veve: Ritual Art of Haitian Vodou, Nancy
Ferere bears witness of the beauty, the unicity, as well as the
universality of Vodou Art.  This is her own way, so elegant, to bow to
the ancestral culture of her country, honor it, and invite the world to
share its richness".  The Introductions written by myself, your humble
'serviteur', contains the following subtitles: "Vodou: Religion,
Tradition, Art",  "From Mother Africa to the Haitian Mecca" (an
historical review),,  "Vodou Iconography" ( a discussion of the origins
and evolution of Veves), "Betrayal, Survival, and Revival", "Guerilla
Struggle for our national culture".  In the main body of the book, Nancy
Turnier Ferere presents her 36 painting of Veves, with individual
descriptions and discussions that include, but are not limited to the
Lwa's cognomina, attributes, rites, pictorial icons, theomorphic
behavior, customs, favorite colors, etc.   Here is how she describes her
intention: "The goal of this publication is to offer an original
contribution to the diffusion of Haitian Vodou's iconographic art.  The
36 pieces accompanied by descriptions and comments are part of a larger
collection I have painted for that purpose, and that I plan to show in
museums and art galleries"

Here are some of the reactions we have received from well-informed
readers:

"It is wonderful!  Not only is it a work of art, Nancy's interpretations
of Veves are a great combination of authenticity and art.  It is also a
most welcome aid towards greater understanding of Vodou.  I recognize
many of the Veves, having seen them produced in the many ceremonies that
I had the honor to attend.
(Robert Maule, American diplomat who lived in Haiti for many  years).

"Un tres beau et tres bon livre qui vient combler un vide dont nous
n'etions pas necessairement conscients.  Mais maintenant que le livre est
entre nos mains, nous sommes presque tentes de nous demander comment nous
avions pu nous en passer jusqu'ici, et comment jusqu'ici, aucun de nos
createurs n'y a jamais pense, non plus.  Chapeau, Nancy!
(Eddy Cave, Haitian multi-lingual, multi-cultural expert).

The book can be ordered by sending a check or money order with names and
addresses to:  Nancy Turnier Ferere, 20136 Ocean Key Drive, Boca Raton,
FL 33498, or by using the attached form.  However, should you wish to
review it before inviting us, an examination copy will be sent to you
with our compliments.

It would indeed be a great honor fro us to be invited by you to present
VEVE: L'Art rituel du Vodou haitien / Ritual Art of Haitian Vodou / Arte
ritual del Vodu haitiano at your 2005 Bookfair.

Nancy Turnier Ferere

Gerard Alphonse Ferere, Professor Emeritus, Saint Joseph's University