25434: Wharram - news - Woman kidnapped in Haiti back in Quebec, glad to be 'out of that hell' (fwd)

From Bruce Wharram <bruce.wharram@sev.org>

Yahoo! News
Woman kidnapped in Haiti back in Quebec, glad to be 'out of that hell'

Sat Jun 18, 7:41 PM ET

MONTREAL (CP) - Huguette Goulet, a Montreal woman who was taken hostage in
Haiti last weekend and freed on Wednesday, returned home Saturday.

Kidnapped Sunday in the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince and released 78 hours
later, Goulet, 65, arrived Saturday afternoon at Montreal's Trudeau Airport.

A clearly rattled Goulet spoke briefly to reporters after arriving at
Trudeau International Airport.

"It is too difficult for me for me to get my thoughts in order to tell you
what I am thinking," said Goulet.

Goulet simply thanked all those who helped with her release, including the
Quebec and Canadian governments.

"I want express my affection to all those who helped, who allowed me to get
out of that hell."

A ransom of $300,000 US was reported to have been demanded for her release
but officials would not confirm or deny any money was paid.

Canadian diplomats were involved but did not participate in any direct talks
with the hostage-takers.

Goulet ran an Internet and long-distance phone service with her husband,
Dugue Jean-Louis, and an associate in Haiti.

The business, MLN Technologies, is incorporated in Canada but Goulet and
Jean-Louis travel regularly to Haiti to run it from an addition to their
home there.

Goulet also teaches computer science courses and promotes solar and wind
energy, giving speeches and demonstrations in Port-au-Prince and elsewhere.

Copyright © 2005 Canadian Press
Copyright © 2005 Yahoo! Inc. A