25462: Fwd: Re: 25421: (reply) Math Jay. Explaining more on cell phones. (fwd)

From: Jepiem@aol.com

I am still not convinced that a new cell phone company is good business for
Haiti. It all depends of course whose business we are talking about. The new
company yes, because it will be able to take a share of the pie. The other
cell  phone companies no because there's only one pie to share. Business in
Haiti
in  general no because what businesses really need is a reliable land phone
service  that allows them to communicate with one another via fax or otherwise,

to  communicate with their business clients overseas via fax or otherwise to
carry  out their daily operations using multiple lines that their employees
can use to  transact business with clients or between themselves. I seriously
doubt that a  new cell phone company will drive rates down. In Haiti they say
that only milk  goes down after it goes up. The rates for cell phone use are
exhorbitant  considering the state of poverty in the country but people have to

use them  because of the poor state of the land phone service. Try to call a
cell  phone number in Haiti from the US. Communication is bad too often, and
you

 pay $3.50 a minute ( at least that's been my experience). I think Haiti
needs a  new cell phone company like it needs the piles of garbage on the
street,
the  mounds of plastic bags and disposable bottles, the plumes of black smoke
that  suffocate you when you walk the streets if you're brave enough to do so,
or the  constant deafening noise of the generators running on diesel gas that
people  have to have because there almost constant black out and etc and etc.
What Haiti really needs is a state and a government with social and
environmental conscience able to set the right priority for all classes. It
also

needs a ruling class that is willing to sit at the table with the ruled class
and
decide once and for all that this island is to be shared by all or all will
perish one way or another. And on and on.
Math Jay