25542: Boswell: Re: 25530: kathleen (reply)Re: Wharram (ask/reply) Re: 25526: kathleen (ask) Re: 25521: Wharram - news - U.N. Peacekeepers Kill 6 Gunmen in Haiti (fwd)

From: Richard Boswell <boswellr@pacbell.net>

I am curious as to why people "check into" the U.S. Embassy when they arrive in a foreign country? One is that in the event a family member is searching for you that government officials will have some idea how to reach you. Checking in may be a more of a relic of the past. Another may be that in the event of an evacuation that one could be on the list. On the other hand, if there was an evacuation and you showed up, the consular officials would not likely turn you away. Nowadays, with modern communication the way that it is you are more likely better able to communicate with your loved ones outside of the U.S. then trying to reach the U.S. Embassy. If you are concerned and need to check in get a satellite phone.

That is my advice, but I am curious about what others think about this.