25548: Doherty: (ask) Audubon commemoratives issued by the Republic of Haiti (fwd)

From: James Doherty <jefdoherty@comcast.net>

[Note from Bob Corbett:  James Doherty is not a list member.  If any
wish to write him please do at his address above this note.  Thanks]

On the web I came upon an article by a Brian D. Oakes at your address which referenced some kind of mischief associated with the Calhoun's Collectors Society and it's distribution of Haiti postage stamps. Back in 1979 I bought from Calhoun a Haiti commenorative set of Audobons that I'm told are listed in the Minkus catalog couldn't find it) under numbers 1392 through 1414. The Calhoun's "Certificate of Authenticity " identifies my purchase as " set No. 11043 of the limited edition" of miniature sheet sets of "20,000 only". Frankly, I have no idea of what value, if any, this set may have today other than the beauty of the stamps themselves. If you are not in a position to hazard an informed guess as to the answer, would you kindly suggest to me the name of someone who might enlighten me. Thanks

Jim Doherty
Clarkston, Georgia