25560: Mason: (reply) 25543: Simidor: Haiti's National Archives threatened (fwd)

From: MariLinc@aol.com

I salute Wilfrid Bertrand, Director of Haiti's  National Archives, for taking
precautions to protect Haiti's valuable documents  and symbols during this
time of chaos and lawlessness.

Something nobody  did in the early days of the Iraqi Invasion and resulting
Occupation.

To  the detriment of precious artifacts from Iraq's ancient heritage.

However, unless there is specific evidence that only armed members of
"Operation Baghdad" [who  have universally been identified in the media as
Lavalas
bandits] present a danger to the National Archives, I do  not see the necessity

for blame for possible future damage that might be done to  the National
Archives to be laid at the feet of only that one group -- just  because that's
how
Radio Metropole characterizes what the "locals" are saying.  [see
_http://www.metropolehaiti.com/metropole/full_une_fr.phtml?id253_
(http://www.metropolehaiti.com/metropole/full_une_fr.phtml?id253) ;  sorry
it's in French.] Many
entities, all with different vested interests, are  at the root of the
current chaos, violence, and lawlessness in  Haiti.

I would like to pose 2 questions:

- Is  this Radio Metropole report a political statement planted right now in
order to  help build the international case that Lavalas is the blame for all
of Haiti's  woes and therefore all followers of Lavalas deserve to be treated
harshly in  order to protect Haiti and its heritage?  Thereby justifying a
step-up in MINUSTAH incursions into Cite Soleil, Bel-Air, etc.?

OR

- Is this a "cover story" to assign blame ahead of a fire which will be  set
to hide the fact that many of Haiti's important documents and symbols might
have already "disappeared"?

If I remember correctly, a lot of the items of  Iraq's heritage, stored in
their National Museum which was then looted in the  aftermath of the Invasion
and all its resulting chaos, were actually looted and  traded on the
International Antiques Market by "insiders".

I don't  know the answers to these questions but I raise them in order that
-- if some  documents are already missing -- the perpetrators are not allowed
to "cover  their tracks" by means of a fire supposedly set by the Villains of
All Villains  -- Lavalas. Aristide followers.

That's too easy.

Regardless of  what happens, we should keep an eye out for whether some of
the "destroyed"  items -- should such a fire take place -- end up being
displayed in private  homes "up the hill" or end up on the International
Market.

Veye yo.  Anything can happen in the midst of all this chaos.

Marilyn

*****************

Marilyn  Mason
The Creole Clearinghouse (TCC)