25630: Anonymous (reply) Fwd: Re: 25598: Bob Corbett (ASK) Aristide's famous "Pere Lebrun" speech. (fwd)

Mr. Corbett, kindly post the following question for me ANONYMOUSLY, beginning
with the text, ?The recent discussion??

Source information includes the following links, in case they are of interest:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/history/recent/lebrun.htm

http://www.upd.oas.org/lab/Documents/quaterly_report/1995/4th/4th_qr_95_eng.pdf

Page 13 states, ?A written report on the Democratic Forum on Haiti, which the
UPD had convened, was also completed and sent to the printers.?

http://www.governmentrelations.ubc.ca/informed/may2003/speaking.html

See section, THE OAS AND THE PROMOTION OF DEMOCRACY

http://www.state.gov/p/wha/rls/rm/39843.htm
Ambassador Noriega's Remarks to the Organization of American States
?Under former President Aristide, despite massive sums of international aid,
Haiti sank into despair and anarchy.?

www.upd.oas.org/lab

?The Unit for the Promotion of Democracy (UPD) has been renamed the Office for
the Promotion of Democracy (OPD) under the Department for Democratic and
Political Affairs (DDPA).?

The recent discussion about accuracy of the ?Pe Lebrun? speech reminds me about
a question I have whenever I see the translation.  Regardless of where the
translation is posted it begins with the following lines:

       From: The Democratic Forum on Haiti

       Translated by Haiti Observateur

The Democratic Forum on Haiti was convened in 1990 by the Unit for the
Promotion
of Democracy (UPD.)  The UPD -- subsequently renamed the Office for the
Promotion of Democracy (OPD) under the Department for Democratic and Political
Affairs (DDPA) ? is the principal body within the General Secretariat of the
OAS responsible for activities in support of democratic consolidation in the
member states.  It was created ?to provide guidance and support to the member
states to strengthen their democratic institutions and procedures.?  UPD (OPD)
programs are financed by voluntary contributions from member states, OAS
permanent observers, international organizations, and by OAS regular funding.

Much can be found to indicate the US?s influential role in the OAS.  Likewise,
much can be found to indicate the US State Department?s opposition to President
Aristide (including Roger Noriega?s remarks to the OAS on Dec. 15, 2004.)  In
addition the publisher of the Haiti Observateur, Raymond Joseph, has long been
an opponent of Aristide.  In March 2004, shortly after Aristide?s departure
from office, Mr. Joseph was appointed Charge d?Affaires (with the title of
Ambassador) for the Haitian Embassy in Washington D.C.

Regarding translation of the speech, does anyone know the relationship between
the Haiti Observateur and the OAS?  Since both were opponents of Aristide, does
anyone have a way to verify the objectivity and accuracy of the translation
they provided?  Does anyone know if a different translation exists ? and if so,
how the text compares between the two?

Any clarification would be appreciated, apologies if this question has been
raised previously.