25643: kathleen (reply)Re: 25641: Haiti Action Committee Condemns UN Massacre in Haiti, Demands An End to the Killing (fwd)

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

We can't change the past, but how much better it would have been, in my
opinion, to just leave the Haitians to sort it out themselves, without
intervention by anyone.  Surely civil war, while distasteful, would have
been more "just" and certainly more "Haitian" than what is going on now.
Actually, I have been opposed to all the interventions, starting with 1915.
Yes, I  know "American interests" needed protection (read rich outside
investors) AND those "barbaric" Haitians had torn Guillaume Sam limb from
limb (could he have deserved it?  What would have happened to Aristide if
his opponents got through his security net?), but every year more than 50
(according to one of my sources) Haitians are macheted to death by their
Haitian neighbors in t he countryside for being perceived as sorcerers or
thieves since the interventions started occurring at regular intervals and
foreign investors have 95% pulled out.  Additionally, interventions have
contributed to the omnipresent "se pa fot mwen" that cripples Haiti today.
Kathleen Burke