25703: Joseph: (reply) (Mis)use of Haitian Creole terms (fwd)

From: Figaro Joseph <figarojoseph@hotmail.com>

Dear listserv members,

It has become very painful reading some of the literal translation of
Haitian Creole words or terms as some of you have been trying to fit them
into your political discourse.  Se pa fòt mwen (It’s not my fault), as
one writer said, is used to mean I am sorry as in offering an apology. It does not mean and it has never meant one’s not taking blame.

Another term that has been (mis)used recently is N’ ap boule.   N’ap
boule is one of the possible responses to S’ak pase (What’s up? or
sometimes folks ask, what’s going on?)  N’ap boule does not mean we’re
burning in the context that Hyppolite Pierre wants listserv members to
believe.  N’ap boule, when used as a response to S’ak pase, means We are
fired up, meaning we are upbeat/facing life as one can.  Mr. Pierre, I
always enjoy reading your analysis on Haiti, but please be a little more
careful when you want to literally translate Haitian Creole terms to
fit your political analysis.

Thanks,

Figaro Joseph