25779: Wayne (Announce) "Aristide and the Endless Revolution" Film Premier (fwd)

From: Desiree Wayne <desiree_wayne@msn.com>

“Aristide and the Endless Revolution”

by Nicolas Rossier

Scanners: The 2005 New York Video Festival
Saturday July 30th at 2pm

Walter Reade Theater, 165 West 65th Street, on the plaza level at Lincoln Center.

Admission: $10, $7 students, $6 Film Society/AIVF members.

Box Office tel: 212/875-5601; website www.filmlinc.com.

About the film:
An hour south of Miami, the elected president of the Western Hemisphere's poorest nation has twice been forced from office with the complicity of the international community. "Aristide and the Endless Revolution" investigates the tragic events that led to the second violent expulsion of Jean Bertrand Aristide from Haiti. This documentary reveals the tangled web of hope, deceit, and political violence that has brought the world's first black republic to its knees.

Quotes from the film:

Once we have elections where we will not have weapons, bloodshed, but, on an equal basis, human being freely choosing the one they want to lead them, then we will feed our democratic process. Then we will break with the tradition of moving from one coup d’etat to another coup d’etat, but moving one democratic election to another one. That was the goal"
PRESIDENT - J.B ARISTIDE

"When you say what’s Aristide’s future you’re also saying what’s Haiti’s future. You know, it’s not easy to erase people’s memories, and the people who I’m around, the patients, the people in hills, as you said, they’re very attached to this guy. And they’re not going to forget about him."
PHYSICIAN & ANTHROPOLOGIST - PAUL FARMER

"Aristide was not perfect, but he represented an institution, if allowed to grow and prosper, symbolized another relationship that Haiti would have to the world"
ACTOR - DANNY GLOVER

"We did conclude because of his failure to take advantage of opportunities over the years that he probably wasn’t going to be able to govern the country, but in the final analysis the decision for him to leave was a decision that he made"
ASST SECRETARY OF STATE - ROGER NORIEGA

"The orders from on high are that we are to concentrate on this question, just how much was Aristide responsible. But we don’t have to follow the orders from on high, and if we’re sensible we see that the only question was how it would implode"
WRITER - NOAM CHOMSKY

For press contact: Graham Leggat (gleggat@filmlinc.com; 212/875-5416)

http://www.filmlinc.com/wrt/programs/7-2005/nyvideofest05.htm