25830: Hermantin(News)Tropical Games: Augustama steps up, wins (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Tropical Games: Augustama steps up, wins

Sharon Robb
Sun-Sentinel

July 24, 2005, 9:25 AM EDT

Every amateur boxing show he goes to, Haitian-born Azea Augustama knows there's a possibility there will be no opponents in his weight class or at least any that are willing to go up against a national champion.

Augustama, 20, one of three boxing brothers from Hollywood PAL, made the ultimate sacrifice Saturday at the Tropical Games of the Palm Beaches when he went up a weight class to take on top heavyweight Arturo Reyes of De La Rosa Boxing in Miami.

In front of a standing-room-only crowd, the four-round bout was one of the best on the record 21-bout card at the South Florida Fairgrounds .

Augustama, boxing at a 15-pound weight disadvantage (186 pounds), scored his first victory over the 201-pound Reyes with a 5-0 decision. Augustama overwhelmed Reyes with his power and speed. His combination body shots and jabs kept Reyes off-balance.

Immediately after the bout, the boxers embraced. Reyes asked Augustama for a rematch.

"I have been trying to fight him for a while because he is such a good boxer," Augustama said. "I know he's a bigger guy at 201, but for some reason the match just never happened until today. I knew he was good for a long time. It kills me when I come to shows and I can't fight. I don't mind boxing heavyweight.

"I could tell he was getting frustrated. He tried to force his way inside. I didn't give him a chance to do nothing. This is a good win for me."

It was one of Augustama's biggest victories of his career, which also includes wins over former amateur Mike Maroone of Vero Beach, now a pro, and national champion Rene Rommel of Orlando, who is turning pro.

"I think he would make a great small heavyweight," said Hollywood PAL trainer Tony Betancourt. "His speed makes up for his lack of weight. There was no guarantee we would get a fight. We were very fortunate to fight someone of his caliber."

The construction worker, whose nickname is "Stanley" hopes to represent Haiti at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China. He just missed making the 2004 Olympics. Augustama, one of 12 children, has been invited to compete in an international match in Britain next month.

Hollywood PAL teammate Ricky Hernandez, 19, posted his first victory of his young amateur career with a 5-0 division over Leonidas Thalassites in the 119-pound novice division. Francisco Alvarado, 13, of Metro-Dade Boxing, trained by former champion Robert "Preacher Man" Daniels, won his Junior Olympic debut at 109 pounds.

Boxing was one of 10-sports held at the second annual multi-sport festival. The two-day competition ended a day early because events began early and ran smoothly, according to organizers. About 700 athletes from throughout the state competed. Next year Florida Gold Coast boxing officials plan on inviting teams from the Bahamas and out of state for a World Cup format.