25872: Vander-Zaag: (reply) RE: 25837: Allen(comment)Haiti dedicated to Satan (fwd)

From: Ray Vander-Zaag <rvanderzaag@cmu.ca>

I am not an expert on this topic.  But as someone who worked with a church-
based development NGO in Haiti for 8 years (and then spoke in supporting
churches back in Canada and the U.S.), this is a comment that I also have
heard frequently.  And as someone who currently teaches International
Development Studies at a Christian university, I am also interested in this
question as it relates to the relationship between cultural/religion and
development.

My understanding is that the origin of this belief is the story of the voodoo
ceremonies at Bois Cayman, led by Boukman, that was one of the galvinizing
events that started the revolt (in 1791?) that expelled the French
colonialist.  (Others on this list may be able to correct/expand the details
of this event.)  Conservative Christians often interpret this event as
having 'dedicated Haiti to Satan'.

As a progressive Christian, I am also always bothered by such statements, as I
feel the reflect a simplistic, spiritualized understanding of how history
works (and how God works in history, if that is your point of view.)
I usually respond by refering to a frequently reproduced line drawing that
I've seen in histories of Haiti, showing Colombus first landing on Hispaniola,
planting a Christian cross and claiming it for the king of Spain and God.
(Again, I don't have the source at hand - perhaps someone can provide this.)
I point out that this claiming of Haiti for God subsequently produced the
unspeakable injustices of slavery, etc, all clearly at odds with the teaching
of Christ.

Clearly any official proclamation by the officials of any religion or belief
system are not nearly as significant as the on-going (moral) decisions/actions
of each and every member of that religion, and the competing/complimentary
(moral) decisions/actions of each and every member of other belief systems.

Ray Vander Zaag