25914: (news) Chamberlain: Haitian refugee becomes official face of Canada (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

     OTTAWA, Aug 4 (Reuters) - Canada bolstered its reputation as a country
of immigrants on Thursday when a Haitian-born refugee was named as the
personal representative of head of state Queen Elizabeth.
     Former television journalist Michaelle Jean is the first black person
ever to be nominated to the post of governor general and only the third
woman.
     "Her personal story is nothing short of extraordinary ... she has
known what it is to come to a new country with little more than hope --
hope and a belief that with hard work a new country can bring new
opportunity," said Prime Minister Paul Martin.
     Jean, 48, was born in Haiti but fled with her parents to Canada's
French-speaking province of Quebec in 1968. She joined public broadcaster
CBC in 1988 and made her name with a series of documentaries focusing on
people at the margins of society.
     "I have come a long way. My ancestors were slaves. I was born in
Haiti, the poorest country in our hemisphere. I am a daughter of exiles
driven from their native land by a dictatorial regime," she told reporters.
     Jean said she was proud to be part of Canada "with its immense and
unlimited possibilities, rich with the daily contributions of people who
have come from all over the world".
     Canada, which has a population of 32 million, aims to attract between
220,000 to 245,000 immigrants a year and is moving away from its roots as a
country made up of French and British settlers as well as aboriginals.
     Statistics Canada said in March that its projections showed that
Canada's population of visible minorities could more than double between
2001 and 2017, rising from 4 million to up to 8.5 million.
     The post of governor general is largely ceremonial but the incumbent
is responsible for settling constitutional crises.
     Jean replaces fellow journalist and immigrant Adrienne Clarkson, who
was born in Hong Kong.
     Jean -- who will take up her new position on Sept. 27 -- is married to
film maker Jean-Daniel Lafond. They have a six-year-old daughter.