25937: Frisken (reply) RE: 25936: Corbett (announce and ask) New intriguing library (fwd)

From: Jim Frisken <jfrisken@hotmail.com>

Because I've had a long-time interest in Vodou-related art and imagery, the Philippe Sterlin book sounds like a good find. The three books that I have that deal primarily with veve, are Milo Rigaud's VE-VE: Diagrammes Rituels Du Voudou, a trilingual, French - English - Spanish, book published by French and European Publications, which has about 600 pages of black and white illustrations of veves, and a couple of photos. About 100 pages are primarily text. The second book is Karen McCarthy Brown's 1976 dissertation The 'veve' of Haitian Vodou: A Structural Analysis of Visual Imagery (427 pages, but primarily text). The third book is new, and one that I'd recommend to those who enjoy Haitian art. The author is artist Nancy Turnier Ferere and the title is Veve: Ritual Art Of Haitian Vodou. Her husband, Dr. Gerard A. Ferere, is very knowledgeable on the subject of Vodou, and contributed much to the text. The 102 page, 8.5" x 11", book is in French, English and Spanish, and contains 36 beautiful color art prints of veves. The book is available from the author ($35) gernancy2@hotmail.com .

I did an internet search (using dogpile,a search engine that combines several search engines) for the author Philippe Sterlin, and it appears that Geo Remponeau may actually be the illustrator of the Sterlin book. The web site http://www.georemponeau.com/life.html lists amongst Remponeau's works "1950's; another memorable book was a page-by-page display of colorful Voodoo Veves in a book written by Philippe Sterlin" . It also lists the 102 Rue Des Miracles address as that of Geo Remponeau's studio and gallery. The web site has examples of his art, including one veve. Also says that he was associated with the well known Centre d' Art in P-au-P in the 1940's, and later director of the Musee D' Art, and that he designed postage stamps. He was the first to introduce veve designs in wrought iron used in architecture. I believe that the Ife Hotel/Guest House in Petionville has veve designs in the wrought iron of the 2nd floor balcony (as well as a nice historical, life-size portrait in the dining room). Geo Remponeau was at least still living in 2003. He was born in 1916.

Another entry for 1/27/2003 states that the Haitian Embassy in Berlin was having an exhibit "Veve-Zeichen Des Vaudou Zeichnungen Des Haitianischen Kunstlers Philippe Sterlin".

Jim