26017: Hermantin(letter to the Editor)A leader, not CEO (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Sun, Aug. 21, 2005

HAITI

A leader, not CEO

Haitian-American entrepreneur Dumarsais ''Dumas'' Simeus said that he wants a Haiti where there is access to capital for the average guy, for the poor guy who was born in a hut ''like I was born in'' (CEO seeks new job: the president of Haiti, Aug. 17).

I respect Simeus for his accomplishments as a successful businessman, but I have to warn him that Haiti is not like a corporate organization where the goal is to maximize shareholders' dividends.

His goal should be to create functional institutions in remote areas where the average citizen has access to basic healthcare, education and job opportunities.

Otherwise, giving the average guy access to capital without appropriate training and access to functional institutions is like giving him money to play Lotto and telling him to take his chances.

MICHEL NAU, Gaithersburg, Md.