26111: Fouche (comment) Re: 26100 [Sajousp (reply)] (fwd)

From: "[ISO-8859-1] Rachel Fouché" <rfouche@verizon.net>

Rene Preval, in conjunction with the Ministry of Haitians Living Abroad, had really worked to open the channel of communications between Haitian-Americans, Haitian-French, and Haitian-Canadians in my opinion. In 1997, I spent a wonderful six weeks in Haiti exploring the country and its industries from Cap-Haitien to Jacmel with other young people of Haitian descent who had not been back to Haiti for a decade or longer (I think there were only 2-4 of us who were of Haitian descent, but had never been to Haiti).

There were many discussions on extending Haitian citizenship to the diaspora on this trip, but I have to honestly admit that some of my trip mates would assert the development of multiple citizenship not out of a sense of working *with* the people who remain in Haiti, but a sense that they could work *on* them and their "backward, banana republic" governance -- to the point of blatant disrespect of Mr. Preval at a assembly in the group's honor. Disrespect, that I might add, would most assuredly (in my mind) been absent had these people been meeting with Bill Clinton or Francois Mitterand...

At this point, I have to disclose that my career at that time was heavily engaged in community development and non-profit work. In fact, I had only brought one dress on the trip on my mistaken presumption that we would be directly engaged in doing volunteer work at various NGOs -- which made for awkward dressing choices at the many evening soirees held in our honor. I had also become a convert of John McKnight, a well known community development activist who had caused a minor furor in the non-profit practitioner world over his book called "The Uncaring Society." Add to that my maternal grandparents, who are the most intelligent people I know despite being the least school-educated in our clan, and you have a person that doesn't put up with the "Tarzan and Jane" philosophies of the "uber-Haitian" emigre clan (I'm sure I would have gotten in a lot more trouble on the trip if I had a better speaking command of Kreyol and French).

But despite the "intriguing" political philosophies of some of the people on the trip (is the desire to achieve the role of lifetime dictator of Haiti a genetic trait?) , I know for myself that trip really sparked a real, visceral commitment to engage myself in the development of "my homeland." A meeting with the CEO of JMB Imports led me to writing a letter to the president of Whole Foods/Bread & Circus encouraging them to develop an informational display on the mangoes they carried, which included the best mango in the world (do I need to spell it out for you?) -- because Haitian mangoes are smaller, the US consumer would easily pass over the Francique for the larger Atkins, although Franciques have a richer flavor. I've become a more committed advocate of renewable energy sources and organic ecology thinking about Haiti's environmental problems. A lovely night at the Olaffson viewing the lobby art created by Haitian artists has encouraged me to be an active consumer of Haitian home-grown art and services. And there is one marriage that I know of which was a direct result of the trip!

A middle ground for the desire of Haitian emigrants (and those descended from Haitian emigrants) to hold dual citizenship would be some type legislation where those who were interested in obtaining/renewing Haitian citizenship had to provide evidence of philanthropic and/or volunteer support towards the positive development of Haitian infrastructure on a yearly basis. For the appearance of neutrality -- and to uphold the sanctity of civicus -- activity in any political party could not be counted towards this requirement. Full dual citizenship could be extended to those who have relatives remaining in Haiti, and provisional dual citizenship would be given to those who have at least one first degree relative who was born and raised in Haiti. To further prevent the possibility of this program becoming a kickback scam for government officials, the senate would have to designate NGOs that people could donate and/or volunteer at, as well as public hospitals, department of works, and schools supported by the government, which could add both financial and professional growth in these essential public institutions. In addition, I would require a residency requirement of say, four weeks for every two years of holding dual citizenship -- something achievable for emigres of all economic backgrounds. And American Airlines could get favorable publicity by offering discounted flights for those in economic need to maintain their dual citizenship (although I have to say that AA's commitment to Haiti really supersedes any profit margin they may be able to obtain from that route, given the amount of stuff that gets loaded on that plane on a regular basis).

Haiti needs our two hands -- not our two cents -- and if this is the carrot to encourage social and structural development, then I'm all for dual citizenship. But if it's just a carte blanche for a bunch of intellectual verbal diarrhea and bourgeois back-seat driving, then please let well enough alone -- Haiti has enough problems without having people who have no interest in getting their hands in the soil adding to them.

Rachel Fouché