26183: Wilcken (reply) 26182: Bassiouni: (reply on Haitians in New Orleans) Re: 261762: Wilcken (reply) 26164: RE: Davis on Katrina and Haitians (fwd)

From: Lois Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

Let me begin, Mr. Bassiouni, by apologizing for being so quick and
unreflective in my statements.  Please hear me out.

I work with a traditional drum and dance organization in Central Brooklyn
directed by a master drummer from Haiti and staffed almost entirely by
artists from Haiti.  Three years ago our drummers were invited to New
Orleans, and have been there several times since.  Not enough time to know
the city well, but we were making a start.  We asked about the Haitian
community and received vague responses, even from Haitians.

I'm not sure why our contacts responded as they did, but I have to say that
your assumption that they entertain the tourist industry is way off base.  I
don't understand your reasoning here.  Certainly there are more factors than
one that can explain why we hadn't yet reached community organizations. As
for our organization, since 1981 we have scraped by on small hard-won grants
and contracts that serve mostly educational institutions and our own
programs, among them free classes for Haitian American children.  We don't
cater to tourists.

Regarding the response of authorities to situations involving populations of
color, it takes many shapes and forms.  You and others on the list might be
interested to know that on this West Indian Carnival weekend in Brooklyn, we
are overwhelmed by police presence, and I'm listening to helicopters
circling overhead as I write (Monday morning).  I went to hear the Haitian
band Djarara last night on Parkside Avenue and had a really hard time
traveling the small distance to my home because police barricades had
traffic dangerously congested.  To many, it looks like intimidation and an
attempt to neuter the Carnival.

Much honor and respect for your rescue efforts in New Orleans.  If you have
any information about Arabi, please share it with me.  Thank you for your
information, and take care of yourself.

Lois

--
La Troupe Makandal, Inc.
Master Drummer Frisner Augustin, Artistic Director