26239: JeanPierre (comment) Fwd: Constitution? What Constitution? Re: Post 26224 (fwd)

From: JJEANPIERRE1@aol.com

Lately many contributors to Corbetland have made some  clearly keen
references to the Haitian constitution;  Dr. Allen, Mr. Dailey et cetera â?¦
What a
wonderful trend.
While Iâ??m wondering about the whereabouts of  those folks when Haitiâ??s
laws
were being  violated daily by every single government (legitimate and
otherwise) since its  ratification in 1987, the most egregious of all, in
February
2004, the year marking Haitiâ??s  200th birthday, I would like to point out a
few
teensy details they  omitted to mention in their posts.
Ohâ?¦Before I enumerate some of those insignificant particulars, I must
specifically refer to brother Daniel Simidorâ??s latest post on the arrest of
journalists Kevin Pina (Black Commentator and independent filmmaker) and Jean
Ristil
(AP).  Daniel, from  New York, wrote with certitude of  the violation of â??
Haitian lawsâ?? by Kevin.  What laws?  What  constitution?
We either take or reject  Haitiâ??s  constitution as a whole.  Period.
Selectivity is not an option.  Iâ??m  sick and tired of this intellectual
dishonesty.
And this comparison ( If it was hereâ?¦) with this fascist regime in
Washington headed by  a president who was selected in 2000 by  the US Supreme
Court is
pure nonsense.
And please, do not tell me Aristide did this and that andâ?¦blah  blah blahâ?¦
Itâ??s like telling the cop who stops us for doing 80  MPH in a 50  MPH zone
that we were merely following the  guy ahead of us.
--Early morning Sunday February 29, 2004,  an elected President is picked up
by a  US plane, 18  months short of  his five year  term.  Shortly thereafter,
James  Foley, US  ambassador to  Haiti, calls  Judge  Boniface Alexandre to
tell  him heâ??s Haitiâ??s  new president.  Not wanting the job  at first, he
does
not pick up the phone from the lady who answered. Foley calls  everyone who
knows the judge.  Thanks to a dose of prodding, by 8:00  AM, judge Boniface â??
with tears in his eyes- reluctantly agrees.  Foley spends the next few hours
looking  for a magistrate to swear in judge Boniface.  The magistrate is in
church and has no  cell phone.  They finally got a  substitute.  2:00 PM
Judge
Boniface became  Haitiâ??s new  President.
Foley then decides that the investiture ceremony should take place ASAP
(Tuesday) as to avoid the presence of â??too many politiciansâ?? -e.g. Evans
Paul-.
Those who hated (still hate) Aristide to the point of  obsession, applauded.

Constitution? What Constitution?
--In violation of  Article  157 of Haitiâ??s constitution Gerard Latortue came
to  Haiti on  Wednesday of the following week after being chosen by Le Conseil
des  Sages
(Le Conseil des Sages is created  by what stipulation of  Haitiâ??s
constitution?).  On Friday, after living in  Haiti for 2 days  (not 5 years)
he became
Haitiâ??s Prime  Minister.
By the way, Article 137 of Haitiâ??s constitution requires that the  President
chooses his Prime Minister. Not some  US concocted  fictitiously illegal and
illegitimate institution.
Constitution? What Constitution?
---In violation of Article 149 of Haitiâ??s constitution, Boniface  Alexandre
is still  Haitiâ??s  president after the 90 days allowed.
Constitution? What Constitution?
--In violation of Article 191 of Haitiâ??s constitution there is an  ephemeral
Electoral Council.  The  constitution only recognizes a Permanent Electoral
Council.  In fact, they cannot (Well, Iâ??m  kidding). They should not rule on
Dumarsais Simeusâ?? dual-citizenship status as a  presidential candidate.
Every constitution is recognized of having some  unenumerated rights.  The
right for  the CEP to exist is not obviously one of them.
--Article 24 D of  Haitiâ??s  constitution:
â??Except where the perpetrator of a crime is caught in the act, no arrest  by
warrant and no search may take place between six (6) p.m. and six (6)  a.m.
Both Yvon Neptune and Anette  Auguste (and scores of others) were apprehended
at night.
Constitution? What constitution?
jean jean-pierre