26280: Leiderman (comment) where's the candidate's list? (fwd)

From: Stuart M Leiderman <leidermn@cisunix.unh.edu>

dear Readers:

I'm noticing that the journalistic and political criticism of the Provisional Election Council often uses the language "fraud and lack of transparency" but not one writer has asked anyone to define these terms and tell what they would do to correct these problems. this is irresponsible reporting and irresponsible politics. it lets the newsmedia and government institutions operate on a complaint basis, permitting them to fire off pot-shots and then sit in judgement of the reactions rather than be centrally accountable for the deterioration of society and heightening everyone's anxiety. ultimately, journalists and politicians will pronounce, "The people get the kind of leaders they deserve," but really, it is a manufactured outcome, not a populist decision.

the main question is, "Who is to be trusted in Haiti?" this has to boil down to actual names of Haitians who are known by others as honest, reliable, efficient and successful at what they do...all the way from the streetsweeper to street vendor to the president. without posing that question and then finding ways to recognize Haitian talent and compentency, news coverage and governing in Haiti are destructive wastes of time.

there are legitimate signs of fraud and lack of transparency, as anyone can see from the difficulty of simply finding the list of registered presidential candidates and their contact information. for example, after several hours of looking on the web, I did not find a single article or government, NGO, UN or private website that gave that information. personally, I want to write or call each candidate, request their campaign platforms, if any exist, and consider helping organize a series of fair debates among candidates, in Haiti and up here in the States. but I didn't find the list I was looking for. there's nothing on the Government of Haiti's website, nothing on the U.N.'s MINUSTAH website, and the content in the U.S. Embassy's website has just been wiped clean without explanation. lack of transparency, indeed.

thank you,

Stuart Leiderman