=?x-unknown?q?26325=3A__Brown=3A__=28news=29__Fwd=3A_SIM=C9?==?x-unknown?q?US_TO_APPEAL_HAITIAN_PRESIDENTIAL_BALLOT_=28fwd?==?x-unknown?q?=29?=

From: "Brown, Vanessa" <vbrown@SIMEUSFOODS.com>

SIMÉUS TO APPEAL HAITIAN PRESIDENTIAL BALLOT

Haitian-Born Reformer, Nominated by Broad Coalition of Political Parties

Decries 11th-Hour Political Decision to Bar His Candidacy

Possible Abuse of Power Threatens to Undermine Free Elections, Transparency

September 24, 2005 -- (PORT AU PRINCE) Dumarsais Siméus, the Haitian-born
businessman who has been nominated by a broad reform coalition of important
Haitian political parties, under the banner "Tet Ansamn," today appealed the
political decision of the CEP (Electoral Provisional Council), which late
Friday night reversed its earlier Thursday decision to include Dumarsais
Siméus on the list of approved presidential candidates.

Under Haitian law, in order for the CEP to disqualify a candidate, a public
objection must be filed at the CEP within 72 hours of the September 15
deadline for candidate registration.  No such objection was ever filed.  This
past Thursday, widespread radio reports in Haiti confirmed that the CEP had
voted to approve the candidacy of the pro-democracy reform movement founded by
Mr. Siméus.

Born and raised in the Artibonite, the son and grandson of illiterate Haitian
rice farmers, Mr. Siméus rose to own one of the world's largest black-owned
businesses.  As required by the Constitution, he is a Haitian citizen of
Haitian origin, owns property in Haiti and has been a continuous and visible
presence there throughout his life, personally and through his foundation,
which supplies clean water and health care to the people of Haiti.

Mr. Siméus supplied all of the legal documents, paperwork, party nominations,
signatures, affidavits and other documents required by the CEP.  Attorneys for
Mr. Siméus had received formal, written confirmation of provisional acceptance
of Mr. Siméus candidacy last week, including the legal guarantee that his name
would be on the presidential ballot unless objections were lodged within the
72-hour window.

Late Friday night, the CEP suddenly and inexplicably reversed that decision,
striking Mr. Siméus from the list of candidates released in Port au Prince at
the last minute.  However, that list is provisional and subject to appeal.

"We filed a formal appeal earlier today with the CEP," Siméus said.  "If the
CEP persists to bar our campaign for reform, we will go to the Supreme Court
and appeal under the law to restore our candidacy, so that our coalition of
parties and candidates may compete in a free, fair and democratic election.
We are confident in both the appeal process and the Supreme Court that justice
will prevail.  The people of Haiti must be allowed to freely select leaders
who will achieve real change and bring the reforms that we need in Haiti
today."

----- End forwarded message -----