26676: Morse (comment) Haitian elections (fwd)

From: OLOFFSONRAM@aol.com

I think we need a bit more communication from the transitional government.
I'm hearing that the elections are being postponed due to logistical problems,

(for instance getting all the voting stations set up, dispersing electoral
ID's,  etc) but this needs to be stated publicly. The electorate should be
getting  regular updates so that rumors don't dominate. Normally Haitians
celebrate
the  Christmas holidays till the 6th of January (Les Rois). Once we start
getting  much past this date we're probably looking at pushing back the 7th of

February installation. Probably no big deal if we're only talking about a
couple  of weeks. If it turns into a couple of months I suspect things will
start
to get  quite awkward.
Richard Morse