26719: Ives replies to Mitchel Cohen: (reply) The infamous "Sprague fiasco" on Haiti (fwd)

From: K. M. Ives <kives@toast.net>

Mitch,

You say that "Jeb Sprague smeared this small, hard-working group [Batay Ouvriye] as having been paid-off by various U.S. government agencies." That is false. He did not smear them. He simply stated a fact. They received money from the AFL-CIO's Solidarity Center, which is, any honest analyst agrees, an arm of the U.S. government. Sprague lays this out.

Batay Ouvriye admits they took money from the Solidarity Center and that they even KNOW what kind of tool the Solidarity Center is (however, both they and the Solidarity Center refuse to reveal how much money has been given to BO -- we know it's at least $3,500; if they really feel taking that money is so innocuous, let's know the total disbursed).

The point here is NOT the amount of money given; it is NOT whether a group is "hard-working"; it is NOT whether workers rights in Haiti need to be defended.

The point is that OBJECTIVELY Batay Ouvriye and other ultra-"leftists," no matter what their intent, aided and contributed to Washington and Paris' destabilization campaign to overthrow Aristide. That is why the U.S. government has no problem to channel money to them. Washington has not and would not channel money to a group calling for Aristide's return. They don't want that.

You suggest that "Sprague et al... have vested themselves in Pres. Aristide's politics and organizational formations inside Haiti, and cannot tolerate activists who criticize Aristide's pro-IMF policies FROM THE LEFT and demand an end to the U.N. occupation there." That's just wrong. Haiti Progres, PPN, Chalo Jaklen, Kakola, and other Haitian left organizations have all criticized Aristide "from the left" and have nothing "vested" in "Aristide's politics and organizational formations inside Haiti," and are in the forefront of the struggle against occupation... and the IMF.

These left groups all fought and are fighting the coup fomented by George W. Bush, Jacques Chirac, and Paul Martin. They fight it on principle as a violation of sovereignty and democracy. Haiti's majority elected Aristide. You might disagree with some of his policies or methods or goals, but please, don't "pote dlo nan moulen" (bring water to the mill) of imperialism. That is what the ultra-"leftists" did and are doing. That is why the Solidarity Center gives them money. And that is why Jeb Sprague's research is valuable.

Kim Ives

P.S. Thank you, Mitch, for at least disowning the gratuitous Larouche comparison. I'm not sure what the "Big Lie" technique is, but Haiti Progres certainly has no affinity for the conspiratorial fabrications of a nut like Larouche. But we do have an interest in analyzing and fighting the mechanics of the empire.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Corbett" <corbetre@webster.edu>