26791: lyall (respond) Re: 26781 creole/kreyol in Mauritius? (fwd)

From: Jd Lyall <postmaster@lyalls.net>

We are going to a French club meeting here in Humboldt county, kalifornya. There is a guy who teaches French at a charter school who lived in Mauritius. He says that they speak kreyol/creole there. How similar it is to Haitian/Guadeloupe kreyol is unknown at this time. It was basically a language of the pirates of the 16eme/17eme century. Haitians made it their own over the past 200 years, so divergences exist within the Caribbean. Mauritius is a long way away so I am sure that it has its' own characteristics.