26811: Jhudicourtb (response)Re: # 26786 kathleen observation 26780Jhudicourtb_26770_

From: JHUDICOURTB@aol.com

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

Many conferences have fees for one-day participation.

The idea of having to hire bouncers to fend off greedy, lying seniors
seeking to eat meals for which they did not pay blows my mind.

How elitist, how insulting.  Kathleen

Yeah, isn't it sad that your public universities hosting the conference don't
have enough money to feed people who love Haiti.   Since we have to pay we
have to charge.   America is really the elistist nation par excellence, right?
To be more fair UMASS has been very gracious in hosting the Haitian Studies
Association office without rent for many years, and the interim chancellor of
the University did appropriate a certain amount of fund to help the
Conference,
and the several departments chipped in amounts they could afford.   It just
happens that the Conference space is a BUSINESS which charges university
departments for their use of the space and which charges food per person.
That may
be called sad or elitist but that's just the reality of how things are done
in the USA.   And we could not charge partial fees because we did not want
kick people out during meals.

----- End forwarded message -----