26883: (news) Chamberlain: Haiti ex-president starts drive to regain office (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

     By Joseph Guyler Delva

     JACMEL, Haiti, Dec 13 (Reuters) - Former President Rene Preval,
leading opinion polls in the race for Haiti's presidency, launched his
campaign on Tuesday with a pledge to bridge the gap between upper and lower
classes in the troubled Caribbean nation.
     Thousands of people poured into the southern town of Jacmel from
across southeastern Haiti, waving flags and Preval posters, beating drums
and chanting slogans for their candidate.
     Preval called on Haitians from across the political spectrum and of
all social levels to join together to help rebuild Haiti, the poorest
country in the Americas.
     "Our goal is to do all we can to bring Haiti a step further toward
social justice, economic growth and a state of law," Preval told Reuters in
an interview before what was to be his first public speech since he left
office in 2001.
     "To achieve that goal, we're going to have to work with all sectors,
the poor masses, the rich and particularly the private sector," Preval
said.
     Haiti has scheduled presidential and legislative elections for Jan. 8,
the first national vote since Jean-Bertrand Aristide was driven from office
on Feb. 29, 2004. A run-off, if needed, would be held on Feb. 15.
     The latest opinion poll, conducted by CID Gallup and sponsored by the
U.S. Agency for International Development, found Preval had the support of
32 percent of likely voters compared to 21 percent for Haitian-born U.S.
businessman Dumarsais Simeus, whose candidacy has been rejected by election
officials.
     Preval campaign officials expressed confidence he will win in the
first round.
     Preval, 63, served as prime minister in 1991 under Aristide and became
president in 1996. Unlike Aristide, who was forced from power during both
of his presidential terms, Preval served his entire 5-year term without
having to flee into exile.
     Haiti has been run by an appointed government since Aristide left. A
United Nations peacekeeping force of nearly 9,000 troops and police is
helping provide security.
     Preval said if he is elected he would not demand the U.N. troops'
departure.
     "We are not going to wave our nationalist flag and ask U.N. troops to
leave before we are really able to handle the situation ourselves," he
said.