26910: Vedrine (reply) RE: 26901: Nlbo: (comment) Haitians among poorest immigrants because of Education (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

Education had become Nekita's personal anthem. I said that many times. I started noticing the >decline in Haitian children's educational level in l985, started to address it in l995. But so far, no >one including the teachers, the radios that Haitians listen are forcefully meeting and talking and >addressing the needs to help our own communities.” (Nekita Lamour)

Nekita,

Very few Haitians in the Greater Haitian Community of Massachusetts would understand your great work (for the past 30 years), trying to open their eyes through the media and though your educational writings published in different local newspapers.

The Community has been facing a lot of problems, and it’s tough when thinking about the Haitian youth 20 years from now when most of them don’t have role models, when most of them don’t see a real organized Haitian community. So, in all this, I believe EDUCATION plays a key role in order to solve many gaps.

Now, going back to the HAITIAN MEDIA, we can guess how mediocre it has been (radio, TV, “radyo dyòl”) where some key problems have never been addressed. Let’s take the HAITIAN BILINGUAL PROGRAM (http://www.palli.ch/~kapeskreyol/bibliographie/vedrine/tony.php) for instance; in the last elections (unfortunately where Mit Ronmey [R] got elected governor), a referendum was voted 70% to eliminate Bilingual Education in the sate of Massachusetts that finally killed it.

Besides you and the courageous Yolette IBOKETTE (a regular contributor to the prestigious monthly “Boston Haitian Reporter”), I pretty much doubt other Haitian teachers would publish EVEN one article, focusing on THE PROBLEMS THAT HAITIAN STUDENTS HAVE BEEN FACING IN THE BOSTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS AFTER THE BILINGUAL PROGRAMS have been eliminated.

I don’t expect people in the Haitian Media to have the same qualifications that teachers have, but I wonder: How much is being done to really help the community, to let the community know what’s going on concerning the education of their kids? As we know, most Haitian parents rely 100% on teachers, a cultural inheritance from Haiti. Not only most Haitian parents don’t try hard to attend open-house (where their kids attend school), but I wonder if these folks in the media try to reach out the teachers to come to Haitian radio programs to talk to the community often about what’s going on and what can be done to help these kids with their future endeavors.

It was outrageous when I attended a Haitian Teacher’s Association, meeting (in the 90’s). Only four of us showed up, and the Boston Public Schools system has over 200 Haitians as part of their staff. “Everyone is busy with family issue”, a statement one would hear quote often from them as an excuse for not attending these crucial meetings or do something to help the community? Absolutely, Haitian across the board need what I call “YON PRIZ TABAK KONSYANS” (a little bit of consciousness) if they really want to see change for Haiti and for their community. Let’s keep on waiting for the BLAN for another 200 years to come and help us. Hey, I wish everyone a healthy 2006! God Bless!

E.W.VEDRINE - Haitian Creole Editor/Translator
http://www.palli.ch/~kapeskreyol/bibliographie/vedrine.html
P.O.Box 255110 - Boston, MA. 02125-5110(USA)