26922: Hermantin(opinion) Jean-Juste (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

It was about 3 years ago, I believe, that I became absolutly outraged by what was happening in Haiti, and decided to break my self-imposed vow of silence (at least about Haitian politics) and speak out against the increasingly violent acts of President Aristides' henchmen.

It has come to this point again, and, for whatever it's worth,I will speak out against an acts of violence and injustice perpetrated by the Latortue/Boniface government against Father Gerard Jean-Juste. Personally, I do not like the man....OK... for those of you who know me, I did carry a HUGE crush on Jean-Juste many moons ago, but.... He is now in jail ,charged with doing WHAT??? Being partisan, brash and obnoxious??? Feeding the poor and giving them the voice and visibility denied by a government too busy in its kleptocratic pursuits while rewarding Duvalierist goons with diplomatic appointments???

Honestly,many like me have failed to become more involved, because the advocacy on Father Jean-Juste's behalf has been led by the same strident, pro-Aristide voices that have grated on our nerves for awhile now. But as Jean-Juste is lingering in prison still, and as the government of Haiti fails to offer any justification,legal or otherwise for his incarceration, it is time I think to ignore, the zealots. Indeed, some of us had felt compelled 3 years ago,to march and demonstrate (albeit holding our noses) with temporarily radicalized MRE's. It is time now for all justice- loving people whether or not they support Aristide to speak out against this prima facie act of injustice against Father Jean-Juste.