26932: Durban (comment): On Job Creation (fwd)

From: Lance Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com>

  OLOFFSONRAM@aol.com writes...
    I've been reading and re-reading Heinl's Written In Blood
    and it suddenly struck me that no one has ever had a plan
    for 2 to 3 hundred thousand jobs in Haiti.   What hope is
    there for fundamental change in Haiti without work?

Back in 2001, one of Aristide's campaign promises was to create 500,000
jobs, but as far as I know there was never a plan on how it was going
to be accomplished.  Two of my Corbett posts from that era (#9572 and
9697) suggested a more modest 100,000 job target in the sewing sector
and gave some ideas on how to get there.  Times have changed, however,
and since January 2005, when U.S. quotas on China-origin clothing were
dropped, my understanding is that Haiti's sewing business has actually
contracted.

All the more reason for job creation to be the highest priority for
Haiti's presidential candidates, but unfortunately few of them have
said much on the subject.  (I think it was Marc Bazin who did said
something about "jobs, jobs, jobs" the other night in a debate, but I
missed the substance of his argument.  In any case, identifying a
priority doesn't begin to say how we are going to get there.)

So, let me ask the good folks on the Corbett group to offer some
concrete proposals on job creation.  I'd particularly like to hear from
Ives, Arthur, and those folks who don't think much of those nasty old
factory jobs.  What kind of jobs do you propose and exactly how do we
get there?   What should Haiti's presidential candidates be saying on
the subject?  Naturally, if any of the presidential candidates are
listening, their ideas would be most welcome on this forum.

Lance Durban