26934: kathleen (reply) Re: 26933: Jepiem: (reply) Fwd: Re: 26928: (additional comments) Jobs in Haiti (fwd)

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

No question, Math Jay, many things, including electricity, are necessary.
Now, EDH has some employees (jobs).  Like Teleco, these jobs are
opportunities for corruption, especially at the top. Nancy Roc interviewed a
former EDH employee lasty year who admitted to "un vol" that gave huge
revenues (and little service) to the Aristide government.
 This year, I was charged about $600 by EDH for "back services" or they
would "take my meter," for a period of time the previous year when everyone,
including judges, knew there was an 11-month blackout in Hinche and Papay.
The technicians, who are good guys, drove me from my house to the
headquarters in Hinche, where I repeated the experience I had in 2002 at
Teleco:  I must pay the entire erroneous bill, or be shut off.  The
"director" at each company first agreed to a partial payment, then refused
when I returned with it.  The only difference this year was that I
threatened to go to the "juge d'instruction," and let HIM decide if there
was a blackout or not.  I did not pay; my meter was not removed when I left
May 21.
But you know what?  Besides the more serious question of kidnapping and
ransom, I also have no desire to return to this kind of merde and merdeurs
this year or next.
Other people on the list, I remember a Haitian dentist and others, have
written about the long wait and fees to establish a practice/business in
Haiti.  Bribes, "taxes," and total lack of services while pocketing money
(to provide electricity the company must expend money on gas and lines) are
"jobs," along with begging.
I can't imagine where to start, nor do I think enough people in either high
or petty power have the will.   You, Math Jay, have picked up on this by the
absolute absence of promises to address these basic requirements for
civilization among the presidential candidates.  If there is an exception,
please, somebody, point out who it is and what he said when.  Kathleen