26940: Scheerhorn: (reply) Re: 26933: Jepiem: (reply) Fwd: Re: 26928: (additional comments) Jobs in Haiti (fwd)

From: Lynn Scheerhorn <lscheerhorn@ohiocitizen.org>

Scheerhorn (comment) energy

I am not any kind of expert.  But I would like to share my thoughts.

I see the environmental problems as the root of many of Haiti's woes.
Because of the lack of energy and fuel source, not much development can take
place.  To create jobs, you need fuel, electricity.  There is so little
source for this in Haiti.

The country has been deforested for cooking fuel.  There have been
reforestation efforts, but they are far exceeded by by the continued
deforestation.  Deforestation has led to further erosion of fertile land.
This in turn perpetuates the poverty and lack of resources.

My vision for Haiti is to establish a solar power plant (s) of some kind.
Once built, there would be less dependance on outside fuel sources.  Once a
renewable fuel source is established, then further growth can take place.

Is anything currently being done in this area?  Are there reasons this is
not feasible, (other than political).  I would be extremely interested in
this.  I work for an environmental non-profit in the US.  I want to help
Haiti in a longer term vision, rather than a band-aid approach.

Thoughts?

Lynn