26943: Kathleen: (reply) Re: 26940: Scheerhorn: (reply) Re: 26933: Jepiem: (reply) Fwd: Re: 26928: (additional comments) Jobs in Haiti (fwd)

The lack of jobs/acceptance of criminality affects solar power/fuel
development too.  Thieves steal everything that will yield income, not just
people.  As late as last year, requests turned into demands turned into
stealing.
Days after I left my house in May, the chief brother (the Catholic church
owns the house and land around Papay) emailed me to relate that the eight
solar panels on my house had been stolen despite the paid guardien (they
waited for him to go to get something to eat, I suppose).  Frere Jacques
chased the thieves down, found some of the panels in Hinche, but others had
gone already to Port au Prince.  He relayed to order members in PauP, and
held the relatives responsible for chasedown and reinstallation costs. It's
just a matter of time before someone tries again.  k