26989: Morse(reply)Craig (news) Guardian Unlimited: Violence overshadows presidentia... (fwd)

Interesting article from the The Guardian concerning Haitian elections. Two
things I would refute.

1) I don't believe that violence is overshadowing this presidential
election. There is some violence but no where close to the amount of shooting
going
on during the '87 election which was a symphony of fire arms.

2) The article is trying to leave the impression that Baker is favored by
the American government, which I don't believe to be the case. I don't believe

the American government wants a candidate with little following. I think they
would prefer a clear winner as long as the winner wasn't a drug dealer or
something of the sort.