27008: Allen(observations)my return from Haiti (fwd)

Thanks for the support.  I was there Dec 15-22.  Because of the Corbitt list I was able to help Judy Hoffman of Art Creation Foundation for Children(artforhaitianchildren.org) by taking a 70 lb bag of art supplies for the children in Jacmel.

When we arrived all ten of our group were to give nineteen seventy pound bags to be transported to Mole St Nicolas by truck.  Because the bags did not make the flight out of Miami three of the men, including me, stayed behind and waited.  The bags did arrive on the next flight, but we missed our MAF flight to Mole.  We stayed the night in PAP and rode on the truck the next day at 530 am.

Wow, what a trip.  I was really glad though, because I wanted to see all these cities and do the "road trip" through St Marc, Gonaieves, Anse Rouge, Mare Rouge, and all the little places in between.  A surprising amount of the road between PAP and Gonaieves was paved we passes several paving crews; we made the first leg (approx 100 miles) in about 6 hours.  The second part (approx<50) miles was slow and took another 6 hours, but it was close to "record time" for the driver.

I took some pictures of the presidential candidate's billboards and if anyone would like to see some let me know I'll email you the photos(allengatorz@juno.com).  I'll tell you more later; it was really a great time.  I can't wait to go back in April.

Douglas Allen