27019: Arthur (news) More on Leth's disgrace (fwd)

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark
http://tinyurl.com/d753z

October 7, 2005

Criticism rains down on Leth

Graphic details in Jørgen Leth's autobiography about his sexual
relations with a 17-year-old Haitian girl could lead to a prison
sentence for the film director

Author and film director Jørgen Leth, one of Denmark's most
celebrated intellectuals, continues to face harsh criticism after the
publication of his revealing autobiography that details his sexual
exploits with underage minors in Haiti.

In his book 'The Imperfect Human', Leth describes his sexual
relationship with the 17-year-old daughter of his Haitian
housekeeper, which he describes as "his right" as her master.

Other revelations in the book include his smuggling of 46 kilograms
of hashish to Denmark in the 1960s.

The revelations could have serious consequences for 68-year-old Leth.
In addition to possibly losing his position as honorary consul in
Haiti, he could face criminal prosecution in Haiti, where sexual
relations with minors under 18 years of age is punishable with up to
ten years of prison.

'The diplomatic immunity which is associated with his title as
honorary consul deals first and foremost with official documents.
With regard to Jørgen Leth's person, his work as honorary consul only
protects him in a limited sense,' stated Hugo Østergaard-Andersen,
administration chief in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Leth's reputation and work as a prominent cultural personality were
also being examined.

Team Denmark, the country's elite sports organisation, had signed
Leth on to its committee identifying great sports contributions in
Danish history. Leth's post on the committee was now threatened.

'We have tried to reach Jørgen Leth to discuss his position on the
committee,' said Team Denmark's head, Søren Riiskjær, who would not
offer further details about Leth's standing. 'We would like to talk
about that with Jørgen Leth himself. He shouldn't have to read about
that in the paper,' Riiskjær told daily newspaper Politiken.

Leth's sexual relations with Haitian girls should have consequences
for his work as a commentator for television station TV2, according
to the head of the Danish Women's Society, Karen Hallberg.

'The objectification of women that Jørgen Leth demonstrated by raping
a 17-year-old when it pleases him, demands action. He ends up
appearing as if such behaviour is acceptable. And that can't be the
case if one is employed by a station like TV2,' said Hallberg.

The Danish Film Institute stated, however, that it would not retract
its initial support of Leth's film project, which documents his
sexual escapades with the 17-year-old.

'It isn't the first movie we end up supporting in which there is
something illegal. We have also supported films in which people
smoked hash. That is illegal. We have supported films in which people
paint graffiti. That is illegal,' said Jørgen Ramskov, the area
manager for production and development in the Danish Film Institute.

Leth has already received DKK 450,000 (EUR 60,000) in support. An
application for an additional DKK 3 million (EUR 400,000) in support
is still being processed.