27042: 27033: Ulysse (reply) Kawolina Domestic Violence in Haiti (fwd)

Kawolina  thank you for your post. I didn't even know of Mondesir until I
I heard news of her murder Christmas eve on Boston's TeleDiaspora show.
She did a program for them and was in Boston several weeks before. This
tragedy dominated both the Friday evening's show as well as Saturday's
morning program. The announcers spent a considerable amount of time
discussing domestic violence. I returned to CT frantic in my virtual search
for more information and was stunned by the lack of attention as she is
a public personality. We tend to respond less to the anonymous. Violence
occurs everyday as domestic abuse is a perpetual problem in Haiti and its
extended Diaspora. The silence is just another indicator of the social value
ascribed to girls and women. This makes me think of that rather problematic
Dostoyevsky's quote about the markers used to judge a society's degree of
civilization.

Gina

--
Gina Ulysse, Ph.D
Assistant Professor

ANTH:(860) 685-3268
AFAM:(860) 685-3575
FAX: (860) 685-2051

"There are certain structures of power I simply
refuse to recreate. Silence is the first."
		   	t.w.

					Illuminate the past