27047: Corbett: (comment) Haitian 5 star Barbancourt vs Viennese Christmas Punch at Corbett's house

From Bob Corbett:

St. Louis had unseasonally warm weather today, about 40 degrees this morning, so I decided to get my four miles walking in, my normal daily exercise. I first walked to the local Office Depot to get a new external hard drive back up system. My computer is fixed, but my old external drive was fried.

I got the drive and a ream of printer paper (for my old print cartridge), and that nearly filled my backpack.

I then walked up the street to a very fancy liquor store, one of only TWO I've ever found in St. Louis where one can buy Barbancourt rum. I had a gift certificate one of my sons had given me for Christmas. They had the five star (my favorite) in a gift box, with two very lovely Haitian glasses (man sitting under a palm tree on the glass) that came with the rum. I wanted two bottles, but couldn't get two into the back pack, so I put one bottle in, and the glasses, then cradled the other bottle like a young father with a new born babe in arms.

I headed home, 2 miles to go.

Before leaving home I had made a very large crock pot full of Viennese Christmas punch (2 1/2 cups orange juice, 2 1/2 cups apple cider, 2 cups of blackberries, 2 1/2 cups red wine, cinnamon sticks, 10 full cloves, 1/2 each of thinly slices lemon, lime and orange, and then spices -- tarragon, ginger, nutmeg, mint leaves, and sweet basil, plus, finally, one large hand full of raisins). This was heating up for me.

I got home, very tired. The load on my back for the last two miles was quite heavy. I came in set up the back up system and started that running to make a full back up first of all.

But, what to do while the machine was doing its work. The competition was to begin. Do I dip into the Weilnachtspunsch (Christmas punch) or the rum.... Well, I like the punch very very hot, and in the crock pot that normally takes two hours. So, I sat with my book, got on the classical music and dipped into the five star. Oh my goodness, goodness, goodness, is that stuff good. No water, no ice, no juice or anything. Just a small glass and Barbancourt. I sipped a couple of those.

Later, for lunch I had some of my excellent gumbo soup I made, and with the gumbo soup I had the punch. Later, while resting before a basketball game on TV, I had my third Barbancourt. Then, late afternoon, with some of my sister-in-law's excellent chocolate chip cookies I had a bit more punch.

Oh me, it's just 6:30 PM. My brother, who just lives two blocks up the street is having a New Year's party and was hoping I would come, but I'm too happy a hermit. I think my plan is a couple more punches while I read, though the page does seem a wee bit blurry tonight, must be my light bulb. Then, a couple squares of dark chocolate with another generous rum, and off to bed by about 9 PM!!!!

The best of 2006 to you all.  I'm mellow and nearly prepared for it....

So, the punch or the Barbancourt?  Which wins the prize?  The joy for me
is there need be no prize and no winner. The two are both delights to my days and no incompatible with each other! Wish the world and Haitian politicians, particularly, could be like that.

Bob Corbett.