27079: Hermantin(News)Independence Day will be bittersweet (fwd)

Sun Sentinel

Haitians reflect on a dream

Independence Day will be bittersweet

By Alejandra Diaz
Staff Writer

January 1, 2006

Today is a significant day for many reasons for Abner Genece.

It is New Year's Day. It is his native Haiti's Independence Day. And it marks the 50th anniversary of his arrival in the United States.

But Genece, a retired educator from Boynton Beach, does not plan to host a party or attend any lavish soiree. That's because uppermost in his mind, he said, is the concern that Haiti's future is bleak.

"[Independence] is a beautiful dream. In a country that had so much that has been ruined, it's destined in a way to failure," said Genece, 70. "Since 1804 and from there on, it's been in a constant battle to keep independence. Now it's a feeling of independence within independence."

The island nation gained independence from France in 1804. Haitian martyr Jean-Jacques Dessalines led a rebellion that defeated Napoleon Bonaparte's forces, and it became the first liberated black nation and the second oldest independent nation in the Western Hemisphere.

South Florida Haitians will in different ways honor those who fought to make that happen.

Some plan to attend a concert tonight at the James L. Knight Center in Miami. Concert organizer Farah Juste, of Fort Lauderdale, said musicians will be performing the songs of 12 artists who had a significant effect on Haitian culture.

"I am honoring 12 artists who died in poverty even though they had talent. The action I want to bring up is Haitian talent and culture, and it's one of the richest ways for Haitians to make money, but the culture has been neglected," said Juste, who has a day-care center in North Miami.

Others in the community may dress their children in new clothes, attend church and spend time with family and friends.

But many, like Genece, say their hearts and minds will be with those in Haiti.

"I'm proud to be Haitian but I've known better days personally when I was growing up and things have not improved. They are deteriorating too much for my taste," said private Creole teacher Roger Savain, 82, of Plantation.

Fort Lauderdale resident Stephanie Desir-Jean intends to savor the holiday's traditional pumpkin squash soup and see family members but expects the day to be bittersweet, she said, "because Haiti is in such bad conditions right now." Her homeland is facing insecurity and a failing infrastructure, she said.

"People don't have stability, dignity, there is poverty and people can't read, so I don't know what significance this day [has] if there is no way for them to enjoy it," she said. "So it hasn't been good for me and it's painful to think about it."

Desir-Jean, who is president of the Haitian-American Democrats of Broward, said she is hoping for better days for her country. While others say they fear the worst may be yet to come, considering Haiti's upcoming elections.

The first presidential and legislative elections since a rebellion toppled President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 2004 were scheduled for this month but have been postponed several times for logistical reasons.

"This year the celebration is surely low-key and a lot of people are hopeful and a bit worried because of the elections. People are a bit afraid, to say the least, of what may occur," said Jean Jabouin, of Sunrise, commentator on radio station WSRF, AM 1580, which will return to the airwaves this month. "Hopefully people will get to vote and democracy will reign again."

Margaret Armand is looking forward to sharing her culture and history with the next generation.

"It's important for every generation to understand the struggle and history of Haiti. I have a new granddaughter and she needs to know what happened in the past and see us how we see ourselves," said Armand, who left Haiti for New York, then moved to Plantation in 1979 to work as a psychotherapist. "The harm continues to be done but it's important for everyone to understand what is going on."

Wilson Gayo, chef at the Pines Café Restaurant, said he will do his part in paying tribute to his culture by making a butternut pumpkin squash soup today.

Gayo, 37, moved to the United States at age 9, but said he was on the island long enough to learn how to make the soup that is given to relatives and friends who visit throughout the day.

The orange-colored soup known as joumou is made by slicing the squash and boiling it to remove the skin, he said. The squash is then mashed, strained and boiled with carrots, meats and potatoes. Fresh ingredients are a must, said Gayo, who serves the soup with bread.

"Every household that you go to, you get the same soup," he said. "If you are my neighbor, I bring you the soup and you bring me the soup, too."

To him, the soup is a symbol of Haiti's struggle for peace. "Everybody [traditionally] stays home and just enjoys that day, thanking our founding fathers for giving us the opportunity for living freely without chains and shackles."

Our Community's Many Faces periodically spotlights one of the dozens of nationalities conducting South Florida celebrations of cultural and historic milestones.