27098: kathleen (reply)Re: 27085: Arthur (comment)Re: 27082: Haiti, Mexico most perilous for media (fwd)

Perhaps RWB spoke only with those "reporters" who speak only with those who
make the most noise in the slums around their hotels, and wish the return of
Aristide.  Consistently, I read that "Aristide is loved by the poor" (yes,
in the slums around PauP, but not the poor peasants out in the other parts
of Haiti.)  Also, consistently, the murder of journalists at Aristide's
command is glossed over, or omitted as Arthur points out.  The impression is
that Haiti was such a jolly, crime free place to live until he left, where
the truth is that he left (At HIS request/plea) because his chickens were
coming home to roost, and those poor who did NOT love his policies were
coming to get him. I lived in Haiti 99-02, when Jean Dominique, Brignol
Lindor and others opposed to Aristide were murdered, including one thrown
out of a helicopter.  Oh yes, and there were numerous Lavalas murders and
attempted murders of non-journalists as well.  Probably didn't get reported
because it was outside of Petionville and the slums of Port au Prince, among
Haiti's Peasant Poor and Leaders, and therefore outside of  "objective"
reporters' bailiwick.  kathleen