27251: Vedrine (article): On Coalition of presidential candidates in Haiti (fwd)

“How much will Haiti benefit from a coalition of presidential candidates the eve of its presidential elections?”

Emmanuel W. VEDRINE,
December 2005

Not long ago in November, nine different candidates (from different political parties, some independent) got together in an official agreement to form a coalition with the goal to win the elections in the first or second round. Observers can ask a bunch of questions about such a strategy and why at this particular time.

The funny thing to take into consideration: is this coalition a strategy for the smart guys to get a piece of the cake? Here, nobody can deny that there is a sense of “unity”, but it is really to save Haiti? Going back to colonial times when the blacks, mulattoes, and the maroon military officers were fighting each other, Dessalines (truly in his heart) was trying his very best to show them that their common enemy was rather France and united them against that enemy. That “unity” the father of Haiti dreamed of, in a sense, had become Haiti’s motto “L’union fait la force” (Union is strength). At the same time, some of these high-ranking officers were also thinking of their own advantages (in the sense of what they would benefit after the Haitian Revolution).

Dessalines has quite a large social plan in mind that would also benefit everyone, and among his plan was to “pay back” the little soldiers who also fought fiercely in the “Bataille de Vertière” Battle (Nov. 18, 1803). Well, some (of these high ranking military officers) did not like Dessalines’ plan (such as “land reform” which would somehow empower the laymen). It did not please these men for they would lose certain benefits) and this somehow, contributed a great deal to Dessalines’ assassination on October 17, 1806.

So, why do these candidates wait at the eve of the presidential elections to form such a coalition? Why not some months ago? That’s somehow, reminds of us of the “Group 184” that rallied against Aristide in 2003, pressuring him to leave power (though the latter never wanted to) and then once Aristide was forced into exile (by the United States, France and Canada), the bond that existed among them for that sole purpose wasn’t there any longer, giving an idea that they were temporarily united for personnel advantages, but not to really solve Haiti’s problems since corrupted members of the elites (with economic power) who never try to help or to contribute to Haiti’s development were also part that that group. They, somehow, manipulated the mass to follow them, hoping that they would do something to better their economic situation.

Going back to the question related to these candidates, the answer is as clear as water: there is really no vision to save Haiti. Everyone feels that they are qualified to be president or this is the only post they can have to do something great in order to pull out Haiti from the cliff it has fallen. How long will this coalition last is quite an interesting question? The answer, without any doubt, would be “short” since the strategy is to have one of their candidates win the elections and then include members of their parties in the new government. Despite all, we can still see somehow this idea of “unity”, but will it be a real one (in case if one of the coalition member wins) for we can foresee fights among these same members for “X” and “Y” posts that they would love to have in the dreamed New Government even they are not qualified to fulfill their tasks.

The philosophy of ‘unity’ is seen across the board if there’s going to be a run-off where one member of the coalition will be part of the second round. That member will, of course, get the support of the remaining “eight”. But what would happen if no member wins? Another important question to raise? If a member wins, will this Coalition Government really work together toward saving Haiti? Toward Haiti’s reconstruction (by sharing their “plan of government” of which most of them don’t have)? Will they be there just to put their friends, and members of their own parties in key positions (even if they are not qualified to do the job, something that we’ve seen before in the Lavalas Administration)? Will they be able to stick together for at least one year without fighting each other for their own interests? These are the key questions to be asked while the manipulated majority of the innocent poor people will be going to the poles to vote. But really, voting for whom? Voting for what? Who is going to really have power? Power to do what? Is it power to work together for a new Haiti? The Haitian people would have to wait and see since they have been really patient for over two hundred years.

So far, we’ve seen the formation of one coalition that implies somehow that these candidates, smell something. Hm! Quite a smart move! There’s a sort of “fear” that forced them to form a block, and there is also the possibility of a second coalition to be formed. Yet, we don’t know who would be in it, and there are still some candidates who are running as independent. And again, we can still question the purpose of that second one we have in mind. If it is formed, will their members really have a vision to work together to save Haiti or to save their own interest? Due to the political reality in Haiti, most Haitians have been forced to become “St. Thomas” (in the sense of the American saying, “I am from Missouri, show me”) or they would have to see first before they can believe. I was quite delighted to discuss some of these issues with Professor Marc Prou (University of Massachusetts-Boston) who keep tracks of what has been going on in Haiti’s politics. (E .W. Vedrine).