27299: Morse (reply) to Durban re: 184 (fwd)

Submitted by Richard Morse

I believe that Civil Society or 184 is moving to the <right>. I  believe that
may be in part because they can't make a sweet deal with  apparent front
runner Rene Preval. If they seemingly attack the UN then it's a  way of
politically courting the former military/Manigat/Gourgue/ and  conservative
bourgoise
factions.

 I'm sure you've noticed that it's only recently that Mr Apaid has  tried to
come back into the limelight. He suddenly realized that he had lost all  of
the popularity and momentum he had gained with the ouster of Aristide so he's
trying to get it back. If he had been sincere back in 2003 and 2004 he would
have kept a tight leash on the Latortue/Boniface government who have the same
problems of corruption as Aristide, though not on the same scale.

 Apaid wants to be a king maker/deal maker but unfortunately for him,  he
didn't put the front runner in the front runner position. He's now trying to
address that, hence 1) the verbal attacks against Cite Soleil, ignoring  blue
and
white collar gangs,  2) his demonstrations against the UN
(patriotism/nationalism) and  3) his attempts to lump the gangs of  Cite Soleil
with apparent
front runner Preval.