27302: Hermantin(News)Haitian groups want end to 'immoral' deportations (fwd)

Leonie Hermantin

Posted on Fri, Jan. 20, 2006

IMMIGRATION
Haitian groups want end to 'immoral' deportations
Haitian activists and lawyers launched an effort to get immigration judges to stop deportations to Haiti.
By JACQUELINE CHARLES
jcharles@MiamiHerald.com

Any day now, Kevin St. Louis, husband and father, can be deported back to Haiti, a country he left a decade ago in search of a safe haven in the United States.

Jeannette Jasmin, a single mother of a 6-year-old asthmatic son whose father was killed in Haiti, could also find herself on a one-way flight to Port-au-Prince. She may have to decide whether to take her son with her or leave him here with relatives.

The migrants, both of whom are under final deportation orders from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, are among thousands of undocumented Haitians living in the United States whose stories are being told as part of a nationwide effort by immigration attorneys to get judges to stop deportations to Haiti.

In the coming weeks, immigration lawyers in key U.S. cities with growing Haitian populations plan to file individual motions asking judges to either continue or administratively close the cases of their Haitian clients in final removal proceedings. If the judges agree, the individuals would not be immediately deported.

ASKING FOR TIME

''The conditions in Haiti are such right now that deportations would only worsen the crisis,'' said Ariol Eugene, an immigration attorney and member of the Haitian Lawyers Association, which launched the campaign in Miami on Thursday. ``We are not asking for a hand-out . . . but to give Haiti some time to recoup to settle its internal conflicts.''

Eugene's plea was among several made Thursday as immigration lawyers and Haitian advocates in Miami, Boston, Philadelphia, New York and Washington, D.C., held press conferences to announce their unprecedented effort to get the court to eliminate deportations of Haitians.

The push comes as Haitians prepare to head to the polls in repeatedly postponed elections, and after the failure of the Bush administration to grant temporary protected status, known as TPS, to Haitians despite repeated requests by Haitian activists and Haiti's own interim prime minister.

The special privilege, which is already afforded to nationals from several countries including Nicaragua, Honduras and El Salvador, would allow an estimated 20,000 undocumented Haitian migrants to live and work temporarily in the United States.

''It's immoral to deport anyone to such conditions,'' said Steve Forester, who was among 20 community activists at the Miami press conference. ``Why aren't Haitians good enough for the same basic protection?''

Marleine Bastien, executive director of Haitian Women of Miami, said the decision is not only racist, but it's also devastating families: ``There is nothing more tragic than children living in daily fear of being separated from their parents.''

`WHERE'S DADDY?'

Four-year-old Rayvin St. Louis is among them, says his mother Karline. Every day, the youngster asks, ''Mommie, where's daddy?'' she said.

''It's very hard making a living without a husband,'' said Karline St. Louis, whose husband Kevin would be barred from reentering the United States for 10 years if he's deported back to Haiti. ``He may never see his son again.''

Jasmin, who fled Haiti nearly seven years ago, said she doesn't know what she would do if she's sent back.

''I want to stay and work because most of my family needs my help,'' said the Miami mother who takes care of six family members in Haiti. ``I need to stay to take care of my son. I am mother and daddy.''