27307: Hermantin (Query)Information about New Beginning Programs (fwd)

Submitted by  Leonie Hermantin
Lhermantin@hotmail.com

We are seeking information about programs addressing the needs of "New Beginning" students, defined in Miami-Dade County as students who are entering High School as well as Middle School with very limited literacy skills. We are speaking spefically of recent Haitian teen or even pre-teen immigrants who have never been schooled or have had an interrupted educational experience.

We welcome information about existing programs, assessement tools and local or national experts on the matter. Please keep in mind that we are not referring to ESOL or bilingual ed programs.

Thanks

Leonie