27366: Senou: (Comment):Election in Haiti (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

Election in Haiti

Who are running for the Senate and the lower chamber
in Haiti?

I think we should focus more on these folks than
whomever who is going to win the presidency in this
upcoming election. When reading the Haitian
constitution, I stop on the articles 13 and 15.  I
would like to see an amendment of the constitution as
soon as possible and in accordance of the 1987?s
constitution. Many of you may not be able to digest
article 284 alinéa 2 (284-2)  which states: ?ARTICLE
284-2: The amendment passed may enter into effect only
after installation of the next elected President. In
no case may the President under the Government that
approved the amendment benefit from any advantages
deriving therefrom.?

Technically, in taking another good look at this
article above, the Diaspora is banned for 10 years
from seeking the presidency in Haiti after the removal
of articles 13 and 15.

I?m not going to call to make the amendment
retroactive since it can create a larger problem in
the future. According to our constitution, the
president cannot have two consecutives terms and this
is not in the advantage of the country; I believe that
article should be amended as well.

But for one time only as a goodwill gesture to bring
the Diaspora back and unify the country and for all
these pains and suffering that we endured for the past
20 years. Articles 13 and 15 should be removed
immediately and the Diaspora can participate in all
elections in the country immediately. However, article
284-2 applies for all other amendments.

How can I lose my nationality? the new Haitian
congress, you are not responsible for it. Please, do
the right thing by removing articles 13 and 15

Article 13
Haitian nationality is lost by:

a) Naturalization in a foreign country;  (Remove
completely)

b) Holding a political post in the service of a
foreign country; (this is what the country needs the
most: you need experience people)

ARTICLE 15:
Dual Haitian and foreign nationality is in no case
permitted.(remove completely)

AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION

ARTICLE 282:

On the recommendation, with reasons given to support
it, of one of the two (2) Houses or of the Executive
Branch, the Legislature may declare that the
Constitution should be amended.

ARTICLE 282-1:

This declaration must be supported by two-thirds (2/3)
of each of the two (2) Houses. It may be made only in
the course of the last Regular Session of the
Legislative period and shall be published immediately
throughout the territory.

ARTICLE 283:

At the first session of the following legislature
period, the Houses shall meet in a National Assembly
and decide on the proposed amendment.

ARTICLE 284:

The National Assembly may not sit or deliberate on the
amendment unless at least two-thirds (2/3) of the
members of each of the two (2) Houses are present.

ARTICLE 284-1:

No decision of the National Assembly may be taken
without a majority of two-thirds (2/3) of the votes
cast.

ARTICLE 284-2:

The amendment passed may enter into effect only after
installation of the next elected President. In no case
may the President under the Government that approved
the amendment benefit from any advantages deriving
therefrom.

ARTICLE 284-3:

General elections to amend the Constitution by
referendum are strictly forbidden.

ARTICLE 284-4:

No amendment to the Constitution may affect the
democratic and republican nature of the State.