27375: (news) Chamberlain: Jailed Haiti priest hospitalized with pneumonia (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

     By Joseph Guyler Delva

     PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti, Jan 28 (Reuters) - A popular ex-adviser to
ousted Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide whose imprisonment has
drawn international criticism was hospitalized on Saturday with pneumonia,
an official said.
     Roman Catholic priest Gerard Jean-Juste, previously diagnosed with
leukemia, was suffering from a fever and a cough, said Marc Wilkens Jean,
commissioner of prisons in the unstable Caribbean country.
     "Our doctor said his condition was very serious and recommended that
we take him to a hospital to place him under medical supervision," Jean
told Reuters after Jean-Juste was taken to a private medical center in
Port-au-Prince.
     Jean-Juste, imprisoned in July, clutched a picture of the Virgin Mary
holding a baby Jesus as he was pushed into the hospital in a wheelchair.
     "My heart is beating too fast," he told Reuters, adding that he had
been having trouble breathing. Swelling caused by the leukemia was visible
on his neck and under one arm.
     The fiery priest was originally accused of involvement in the murder
of a journalist. Those charges were dropped, but now he is accused of
having illegal weapons and being involved in illegal gang activity.
     Jean-Juste denies the charges and Amnesty International has called him
a prisoner of conscience, punished for criticizing the interim authorities
that took over after Aristide was removed in February 2004. Members of the
U.S. Congress also have called for his release.
     Haiti's interim authorities said they would consider allowing
Jean-Juste to travel abroad for treatment -- the first time the government
has opened up that possibility.
     "We have no objection that he travel if ultimately this is what needs
to be done for him to get treatment," said Michel Brunache, chief of staff
for interim President Boniface Alexandre.
     Jean-Juste and his supporters have called on the government to free
him and allow him to seek treatment for his leukemia in the United States,
where he lived for many years.
     "This is a humanitarian matter. It's a big crime that the government
wants to keep me here. They probably want me to die," Jean-Juste said.
     Widely viewed as the natural successor to Aristide, Jean-Juste said
the government had always wanted to put him behind bars because they
believed he wanted to become president. He denies any presidential
ambitions.
     The first presidential election since Aristide was driven from office
has been postponed repeatedly because of violence, disorganization and
logistical problems. The vote is now set for Feb. 7.