27408: Constant (reply)-- Corbett adds: Paquiot (reply) Re: 27404: Du Tuyau: (Response) Kawonabo (fwd)

From: Jacques Constant <paquiot@yahoo.com>

"Last I checked in Preparatoire 1 at JMG (1st grade I think) in Haiti with Mèt Pena, Kawonabo was Caonabo in French, a Indian queen before Haiti become St-Domingue and slave nation."

Bob Corbett adds:

What Jacques Constant says above just didn't hit a responsive cord in my memory and sent me scurring to my library.

In a long essay "The Aborigines of the Anciet Island of Hispaniola" by Herbert W. Krieger (Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC, publication #3034, 1929, page 474) he says (Agreeing with Paquiot): in a discussion of the destruction of the La Navidad colony which Columbus had established: "Its downfall was instigaed by the Indian cacique of the Cibao, Caonabo, but was hastened by the dessolute conduct of the first colonists themselves."

Paquiot had written:

------
 With all due respect, Viandemoulue, (I enjoyed reading your posts),
Caonabo was a man, the cacique of the Maguana province. Maybe you're thinking about Anacaona, his sister, cacique of Xaragua whose main city was Yguana now Léôgane. I agreee that who you are is irrelevant to the BIG picture.