27424: Morse (reply) To Jay re NYTimes article (fwd)

From: OLOFFSONRAM@aol.com

Dear Mr Jay,

  I think you misunderstood my point. I thought the New York Times  piece was
a good piece. I just thought it was missing some key  elements. I don't
believe the efforts of Mr Lucas or any so-called group from  <the right> would
have
amounted to a hill of beans had former  president Aristide been one tenth the
man we hoped he might be.

 The former army rebels, or whatever they're now called, could  never have
come back if <civil society> with their  demonstrations, hadn't created a power

vacuum here in Haiti. These  <rebels>, as the press called them, weren't
rebels or freedom fighters,  they were opportunists. If they really had any
power
they would have taken  Aristide out years earlier. If they had any real public
support they' ld be  a force in these elections. They didn't create the
circumstance for Aristide's  departure, they just sped it up.

 When the former army folks came into Gonaives they hooked up with the
Cannibal Army which had originally been part of Aristide's paramilitary  team.

It took a lot of work for Aristide to lose all the support he once had. His
actions and his attempted actions are what eventually led to his downfall.

Most of Haiti is just going about it's business save a few areas such as
City Soleil (and Petionville anytime the kidnapping epidemic breaks out).

The Haitian people aren't clamoring for Aristide or his return.  They've had
enough.