27456: (news) Chamberlain: Haiti-Elections (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

   By STEVENSON JACOBS

   PORT-AU-PRINCE, Feb 3 (AP) -- The United States is "very concerned" that
drug traffickers could be financing candidates in next week's elections,
the top U.S. diplomat in the country said on Friday.
   The diplomat, Tim Carney, said he has received reports that some
legislative candidates have been offered large sums of money in exchange
for political favors. He did not mention names.
   "Some of the presidential candidates have told me they've had people
with satchels of money turn up on the doorsteps of their candidates for the
parliament," Carney said in an interview with The Associated Press in his
official residence. "This is a serious thing."
   "We're very concerned about the possibility of drug money ... being used
to finance candidates," Carney added.
   Thirty-three candidates are running for president in Tuesday's election,
including an alleged arms dealer and a former rebel commander who led a
revolt against former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in February 2004.
Hundreds of others are seeking 129 legislative seats.
   Carney said the biggest concern for the United States is that "no
candidate who is a drug trafficker or a person who espouses or uses
violence should win these elections."
   "I don't see any such person anywhere close to the front-runners," he
added.
   Former Haitian President Rene Preval, once an Aristide ally, currently
leads the polls, followed by Charles Henri Baker, a wealthy businessman.
   Carney expressed confidence in the ability of U.N. peacekeepers and
Haitian police to secure elections, but said isolated bursts of violence
were possible on election day.
   "This is pretty good sized country with a very complicated political
past and I wouldn't be surprised to see some elements of violence at some
points," he said. "But I firmly believe that the authorities ... will be
able to keep the lid on (and) provide the security as needed."
   Some Haitians believe that if Preval wins, he may bring Aristide back
from exile in South Africa.
   Carney said the U.S. position is that "Aristide is a man of the past"
and has "no political future at all."
   Carney is the acting head of the U.S. diplomatic mission in this
Caribbean nation after the departure late last year of U.S. Ambassador
James Foley. A successor has not yet been confirmed.