27473: Hermantin(News)A missionary pursuit takes a French twist (fwd)

lhermantin@hotmail.com

Orlando Sentinel

GOOD DEEDS FAITH IN ACTION

A missionary pursuit takes a French twist
Mark I. Pinsky
Sentinel Staff Writer

February 2, 2006

Decades ago, when Jim Pratt studied French to help him as a Mormon missionary in Europe, he never imagined that one day his language training would enable him to minister to Haitian immigrants in Central Florida.

"That would never have occurred to me," says Pratt, who meets often with about 50 Haitians who study and worship at the College Park chapel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

"The church is very committed to Haiti," says Pratt, 47, an Orlando attorney. "I've always loved the language, and I'm grateful for a chance to speak it again."

Like most male Mormons between ages 19 and 26, Pratt spent two years as a missionary, in his case in France and Belgium in the late 1970s. "That was a special time in my life," he says. "Speaking religion in French again brings back some special feelings."

Pratt, who is the equivalent of bishop, a voluntary position, says that returned missionaries with Spanish and Portuguese language skills are especially helpful evangelizing various immigrant groups throughout the United States.

"We now have critical masses of Haitians, Hispanics and Brazilians in Central Florida," says Pratt.

"What we're trying to do is make it possible for everyone to hear the gospel taught in his own language."

A native Haitian minister, Fritzner A. Joseph, leads the College Park group on Sundays, but he is happy to have Pratt speak to the members of his congregation, especially when it comes to explaining doctrinal points.

"It's a very good asset," says Joseph. "He's one of the highest leaders in Florida. We can communicate better. He speaks French fluently."

Mark I. Pinsky can be reached at 407-420-5589 or mpinsky@orlandosentinel.com.